Archive for the ‘introspection’ Category
While MMOGs originally started out as huge social experiences over time they were refined further and further into single player escapades that had multiplayer components thrown in here and there liberally, to the point that now the preferred method of progression is to just play the game alone. Most games these days heavily cater to that, requiring very little in the way of group activity as you level– you can get through the entirety of World of Warcraft, for example, solo, and any group quests or instance runs are completely optional. However, once you hit the level cap, the expectations of the game shift radically from solo-friendly to heavily dependent on raiding. For the solo player it's a startling change of perspective as the rug is pulled out underneath you, and for those players who don't want to raid the only content they have left comes down to recycling daily quests over and over, PvP arenas/battlegrounds, or chasing after vanity achievements.
Yesterday both Joystiq and Kotaku covered the release of a new academically-approved public survey soliciting opinions from LGBT and heterosexual gamers about what they look for in video games. The survey itself didn't impress me much, personally, but it's a good jumping-off point to examine the sort of outrage anything like this generates in heterosexual-dominated gaming circles.
Somewhere around the third or forth character I created in Champions Online I realized I just really didn't care about the Qularr invasion. There I was bouncing about with super powers in a gorgeous environment, but although the landscape was visually engrossing, try as I might I couldn't get attached to the conflicts on any […]
A common mini-argument between me and my boyfriend is over the length of time each of us spends playing a particular game. I'm personally pretty slow, preferring to spend a lot of time on one– RPGs are the worst, I have to make sure I've completed every possible side quest and mini-event or I can't continue along the main line. If I'm playing a FPS, I have to wander into every single room and make sure no stones are left unturned before I get to the final boss. If I'm enjoying myself I like to pace it out and take my time. Like reading a good book, I want it to last as long as I can.
Kotaku has an extremely thought-provoking op-ed piece up about the representation of minorities in video games. While they don't mention LGBT characters (disappointingly) as well, the parallels they draw can easily be applied to our community too. There's a lot to be made about the lack of LGBT characters in video games, and when they […]
September has seen the launch of two updates to the "rhythm game" genre: The Beatles: RockBand and Guitar Hero 5. While both have so far received high praise from reviewers, it's the latter title that's attracting controversy over the inclusion of late Nirvana front man Kurt Cobain as a playable character. While The Beatles are […]
* This post is going to be a bit more behind-the-scenes and autobiographical than the others have been recently. It's also 4 AM here and I'm a bit sleep deprived so this is likely to be rambling and not the best-written entry ever. Ever since about 1998 I've had a personal website; my first one […]
2015: J F M A M J J A S O N D
2012: J F M A M J J A S O N D
2011: J F M A M J J A S O N D
2010: J F M A M J J A S O N D
2009: J F M A M J J A S O N D
- Joshua Meadows: I understand the frustration, but I think that’s taking the problem and going in the opposite extreme. Unlike the civil...
- Chris: Thank you… Sadly voices like ours are often hated. Sadly I actually hate the gay community and I am gay! I am not hip enough, skinny...
- Lord: Thank you for the well-worded post…now if only the message can get to the people who don’t want to be seen as supporters (usually...
- Joshua Meadows: Dagon, you simply repeated the same thing that Gman said — albeit in a more aggressive and less valid manner. I already addressed...
- Dagon: Well, I think you misunderstand the point Sterling is trying to make. He is saying it would be great if Drake was a homosexual because then...